Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

What's a good soldier to do after the war?

From Warren:
And, when you turn on your TV news tonight - after first celebrating the pair of silvers Canada won - watch for the stories about Mr. Harris. Take a good, hard look at him, and remember what it was like with his party in power - the social dislocation, the brutality, the complete disregard for anybody but their well-heeled friends. Remember Dudley George, too.
Yea, I remember the good old days... when my taxes were being reduced, there were no "Healthcare premiums", and when a party made promises during an election, and actually KEPT THEM. As for Mr. George, I don't think Mr. Harris was involved... I think Ipperwash could have been avoided from the get-go, but that's my opinion.

I was just thinking about this yesterday... now that Federal issues have slowed a bit, what's next? Time to look to Queen's Park... we already know that Warren will be working for Dalton. During the Federal election, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" was a good description of how Warren could be viewed. Not this time. I still like ya Warren, and you're the only blog that's still on my daily list, but this time, he's clearly flying Dalton's red banner.

At present, I'm not a card carrying provincial Tory... and I don't know if I'll take out a membership, mainly due to the "Progressive" moniker... "Progressive" doesn't mean what it used to, and now typically has some negative connotations that I'd rather not be connected with... pro-SSM, anti-life, etc. (have at me Drew!) I'll likely do some local work though, but we'll see. I may still take out a membership just to have a say on who the candidate is. I'll be behind Mr. Tory, and it will be a close one overall... Dalton has broken 80-90% of his election promises, and maybe, just maybe, he's ticked off enough Ontarians to get himself ousted.

The last two times, our slogan has been "Dalton McGuinty... he's just not up to the job." It worked once, but not the second time. This time, how about this one... "Dalton McGunity... see? We told you he wasn't up to the job!"

6 Comments:

  • At Tue Feb 14, 12:27:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Blake Kennedy said…

    Dalton McGuinty is one of the worst premiers in Canadian history, not only because he lies about the time of day, the colour of his socks, his wife's dog's name, and the kind of car he drives, but because he's administratively inept, and so is his entire Cabinet.

    Although I'm not the biggest fan of John Tory (a little too Red Tory for my likes), I do think he'd make a good premier for Ontario under any partisan banner, and I have absolutely no issues with being an Ontario PC member and will gladly vote for them in the next election. I didn't vote in the last provincial election, due to scheduling issues that arose on E-Day that I couldn't get out of, but I was only going to cast a blank ballot anyhow. Eves was just slightly less of a disaster than McGuinty.

     
  • At Tue Feb 14, 01:42:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Steve Stinson said…

    Warren is always talking his book. He hated Martin and worked against him. Although he helped the Tories get elected, remember he is not your friend.

    Warren is now acting as spinmeister for Dalton. This is a preview of Dalton's next election campaign.

     
  • At Tue Feb 14, 04:48:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ""Progressive" doesn't mean what it used to, and now typically has some negative connotations that I'd rather not be connected with... pro-SSM, anti-life, etc. (have at me Drew!)"

    Nah, I'm bored with debating, but we do generally prefer the term "pro-choice" (just as I'm sure you "pro-lifers" prefer not to be called "anti-choice") and consider these things to be positive. But to each their own. :)

    That said, I agree that Dalton McGuinty is useless and has to go. Mind you, I'm definitely no Mike Harris fan either, he was bad news in my opinion.

     
  • At Tue Feb 14, 06:45:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Shawn Abigail said…

    I don't actually mind my taxes going up if I like the range of services I get. What I don't like is a certain provincial premier signing a pledge not to raise taxes and then turning around and instituting a health care levy. It was a bold faced lie.

     
  • At Tue Feb 14, 10:51:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Blake Kennedy said…

    "Mind you, I'm definitely no Mike Harris fan either, he was bad news in my opinion."

    I liked Harris. He did what he said he'd do in the face of big-money and big-influence opposition.

    Keep in mind, when he inherited office, he faced $10 billion annual deficits, 1/8 of the province's population was on welfare, and key unions pledged war on him before he was even sworn in. (Earl Manners, the two-faced, hypocritical bastard at the helm of the OSSTF, pledged to not co-operate with anything he would do - anything - the day after the election.) So it's not reasonable to be in a position like that and not act to retain fiscal stability. Harris did what he had to do, and in a way that quickly stopped the economic bleeding that Ontario was undergoing at the time.

     
  • At Wed Feb 15, 12:04:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    drew...just curious...do you live in Ontario? I do. I remember 'Rae Days'...If you need an explanation then I know you aren't aware of what was going on in Ontario before Harris came in. Like blake said, Harris did what he said he would do. My community was rural with many of my non-working neighbours getting handouts, while my husband worked hard to support us on one income. When Harris said he would bring some accountability to the social and government programmes, we were all for it. Now the government employees who were downsized are employed, the welfare lists were trimmed.Friends of mine in the front lines of municipal/social programms support what he did. As for health care what the media and unions don't clarify is that when cuts were annnounced, nurses were let go and admins increased. Harris could be faulted for not making sure that hospital administrations trimmed from the top.And now I hear that the teachers federation is behind the Ipperwash inquiry.That was from a native leader on CTV last night.I'm watching the inquiry and I don't know why the Premier of the province is being called in to account for being upset that there was an illegal takeover of the park. Let's put this in perspective. Should Dalton Mcguinty not have any input if an anarchy took place in the middle of a park in down town Toronto?My rant .VF

     

Post a Comment

<< Home