Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Friday, May 19, 2006

UPDATE: National Post story may be inaccurate

As there is now some debate on the veracity of this story, I retract my comments regarding Iran from earlier today.

Stay tuned for more information... I'll post it as it comes in. As I get the National Post at home, I'm interested in seeing how they deal with it, or what sources they used for the original story. (I was getting suspious about half way through the day...)

Thanks to Canadian Cynic for the update.

UPDATE: According to the National Post, (on the front page) they are standing by their story. I, for one, want to see more sources before I hedge any more bets. If it's true, it's deplorable... if it's not, then a head or two oughta roll over the story.

UPDATE II: I got a round-about mention in Zerb's blog for the Toronto Star over this... and I'll have you know, Zerb, that I HAVE INDEED RETRACTED my previous post... so there! (Cool! I get to join Warren's anti-Zerb club!!!) Now, since she's accusing me of not retracting something that was incorrect, can I expect a retraction from her, since she is incorrect? Here's her comments: (near bottom of May 20 post)
"UPPITY DATE: Canadian Cynic is tracking how the right wingnuts (which includes "yours screwly", to quote Warren) who jumped all over this are not backing off it, (care to retract that Zerb? I have backed off...)even though it's not true."
In fact, my retraction was posted BEFORE she published her post. Funny... she accuses me of something, then does the exact same thing! LOL

8 Comments:

  • At Sat May 20, 01:52:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Alison said…

    I'm guessing I'm about as far left an anti-xian as is ever going to inadvertantly wind up on your blog, but like you I'm just looking to find out what's true in the world.
    Just wanted to tell you how much I respect the integrity of your decision to leave your previous posts and comments re the NaPo story up. A lesser man would have deleted the lot.
    My hat's off to you, sir.

     
  • At Sat May 20, 04:17:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What's disturbing though is how quickly the "right" and the fearful are to buy any BS which comes down the pike. That's the sort of unthinking followership that landed the U.S. in Iraq, after the public, Congress, and the world were primed by planted stories, debunked intel (debunked even before 9/11/2001), and the administration's continued fear mongering.

    Harper decided to jump on the propaganda bandwagon.

    Just like he supported piling into Iraq (and now hides from his record) back in 2002, 2003.

    That's not leadership.

     
  • At Sat May 20, 08:23:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Joanne (True Blue) said…

    Mike, Harper was questioned on it in a press conference, and he prefaced his remarks with the possibility that it may not be true, but if it were... etc.

    Would you rather that he didn't comment at all? He gets vilified for that too. Poor guy can't win.

     
  • At Sat May 20, 09:15:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Blake Kennedy said…

    "Would you rather that he didn't comment at all?"

    I'd rather he not comment until he knows what's going on. That's the right way to do things.

     
  • At Sat May 20, 12:15:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    His comment was "If it's true, it's deplorable".

    I agree with the assesment... I think he took a really good stand there, declaring his feeling about the issue, but indicated that he himself had not been able to verify it, therefore, his comments should be taken in that context.

    Hey, if even Mr. Harper can't trust the MSM, who can you trust? ;-)

     
  • At Sun May 21, 07:34:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is sometimes difficult to know exactly what is going in Iran (for that matter anywhere.) I once saw a picture of a Iranian boy being torchured (I will spear you the details because it made me sick enough.) I was told that the picture was taken out of context, it could have been photography tricks, blah, blah, blah. OK maybe that particular picture was a phony and Yes their are countries worse than Iran. However, nobody can dispute that Iran is an abuser of Human Rights. What I find interesting is that Characters like Zerb and Liberal Catnip are quick to defend Muslims, but let a Catholic, Protestant or Jew be accused of something like this and these same such characters will cry racism, abuse or whatever before looking at the facts. I'm not saying that Muslims are always in the wrong, but I find it funny that the Liberals will defend Muslim countries, but won't defend non Mulsim countries. I wonder if characters like Zerb or Catnip have ever been to a Mulsim country. I have.

     
  • At Sun May 21, 08:25:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeabbut the Liberals did it too! Or something....

    All people, whether of faith or not, have to rely on real evidence presented in good faith to construct a realistic picture of the world. To do anything less is to be dishonest.

    I wonder if characters like Zerb or Catnip have ever been to a Mulsim country. I have.

    How should I know that? Maybe you're just making that up.

     
  • At Sun May 21, 11:36:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Blake Kennedy said…

    "blake ...come on ...if Harper hadn't said anything the accusations would have been flying."

    So?!? As a Prime Minister, his hand is at the helm. He should not comment on things until he knows what's going on, and then unload with both barrels, if it turns out to be true. Since when did "considered second thought" become verboten in political discourse?

    Anonymous had a comment that was supposed to be satirical: "Yeahbut the Liberals did it too! Or something..." And yet, look at what vicki writes: "And mike...the left is responsible for alot of baloney that comes down the pipe."

    Truth is often stranger than satire.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home