Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Liberals: "Walk LOUDLY and carry a BIG STICK"

Just to mis-quote Teddy Rosevelt... (he said "softly")

Seems the Liberal Party of Canada found this image from HezboLiberal.com offensive...
I can't fathom why... ;-)

Looks like they pulled out the legal BIG STICK on HezboLiberal's ISP...
To whom it may concern,

Please be advised that the use of the Liberal Party of Canada's logo and the link to the Liberal Party's website, through the website http://www.hezboliberal.com/ hosted by your company, is a breach of Canadian Copyright and Trademarks laws. The references on that website are also slanderous and libelous.

Please ask your client to remove any reference to the Liberal Party of Canada using any sign, logo or other identification owned by the Liberal Party of Canada.

I trust you will govern yourself accordingly.


Guy Régimbald

Director of Legal Affairs and Legal Counsel
Directeur des affaires juridiques et avocat-conseil
Liberal Party of Canada/Parti Libéral du Canada
Tel: 613-783-8405
Cell: 613-294-3372
Fax: 613-235-7208
Email/Courriel: gregimbald@liberal.ca
www.liberal.ca
Boy, they can dish it, but they sure can't take it! (they really are no fun)

Oops, I guess I wasn't supposed to post that pic... so I edited it... but of course, I still have a copy... ;-)

Here's the thing though... use of corporate logos in spoof has been occuring for years. There are loads of t-shirts out there with all kinds of twisted logos. And, if I recall correctly, the courts have upheld many cases of such use. I think they're just being a little heavy-handed in all this. Take a pill guys, and relax... only a few of us bloggers are going to see the thing anyway! (unless, of course, you're admitting that we lowly bloggers have more public influence than you're willing to admit...)


UPDATE: Well, looks like I was correct... the blogs are more powerful than the "elite" would have us believe! Since my traffic has increased exponentially thanks to the front page link from Caledonia Wake Up Call, I thought I update things...

First of all, to the Liberal Party staff who are reading this (I've been expecting you) please remember that the whole "HezboLiberal" was just a spoof. I had nothing to do with it of course, but I thought it was kinda funny... then I moved on. I in no way associated the Liberal Party of Canada with Hezbollah... I took the modified logo at face value. It was a comment on the FEW members of your party who said some boneheaded things, and the whole thing would have blown over had you left well enough alone. But, instead, you threatened legal action against the person who created the website... you pulled out a pretty heavy stick there. And THAT's what has now caused this thing to spread... like a wildfire! (I'm averaging 3-4 hits a MINUTE right now over this)

So, there are several morals to this story, but the main point is this... the blogs are here, and we're here to stay. We have more influence than you would like to admit, so next time, try treading a little more lightly.

Again, this post was not intended to link the Liberal Party to terrorists, but was made as a commentary on your heavy-handed tactics relating to the owner and ISP of HezboLiberal.com.

Have a nice day!

6 Comments:

  • At Tue Aug 29, 02:00:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    its back

    Can't keep a good website down

    http://www.geocities.com/l8f57/

     
  • At Tue Aug 29, 10:51:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ezra is hosting it as well, along with pointed commentary on the legal stance:
    http://westernstandard.blogs.com/shotgun/2006/08/hezboliberalcom.html

     
  • At Thu Aug 31, 12:02:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Baconeater said…

    They are joking right? They would probably find it funny if the true Hezbollah party of Canada, the NDP's were mocked.
    I'm losing more and more respect for the Liberals each and every day. I used to be non-Partisan, but now I am evolving into a staunch Tory.

     
  • At Tue Sep 05, 06:27:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Slanderous and libelous"

    Presumably there are audio files on that site. Otherwise, Guy Régimbald doesn't know the meaning of the words.

     
  • At Tue Sep 05, 11:21:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger tomax7 said…

    nav: "I've always voted Liberal and will likely continue to do so, but this is completely unacceptable. "

    ...me thinks you should rephrase that, nothing like wanting a better Canada eh?

    "I've always voted Liberal and will likely continue to do so...but don't confuse me with the facts"

     
  • At Tue Sep 05, 08:45:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    God love the Liberals, nobody else does!

    They are liars, cheats and crooks! Their scare tactics are yet another sign of their small minded bullying. I am glad they are out of power, but I will not be happy until they have fewer than 2 seats, this party needs to disappear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home