Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Place of "Higher Learning"

One would assume that a University is a place where rational, reasoned discussion on issues can take place... or a place where the right to "Freedom of Speech" is honoured and respected.

Not so at Carleton.
Sparks flew during question period at a Nov. 21 Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) council meeting after a motion that would prevent pro-life groups from assembling on CUSA space was tabled.

The motion — moved by Katy McIntyre, CUSA vice-president (student services), on behalf of the Womyn’s Centre — would amend the campus discrimination policy to state that “no CUSA resources, space, recognition or funding be allocated for anti-choice purposes.”

The motion was met with resistance from Carleton University Lifeline, a pro-life student organization that was denied CUSA club status at an Oct. 26 council meeting.
Anyone have a contact for the CUSA? The gall and arrogance of these students is unbelieveable... who do you think you are, to say what views are acceptable, and what views are not?

h/t BBS.

2 Comments:

  • At Thu Nov 30, 10:02:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Christian said…

    I have to admit, even though I am pro-choice, I find this very offensive. It seems that there are always people perfectly willing to trample on free speech to silence those who disagree with them, whether they exist on the left or the right of the political spectrum.

    University student councils are usually dominated by a tiny minority of people who actually vote in student elections – which have unbelievably low voter turnout. Normally, no one really cares what happens in student government, thus, you sometimes have crazy stuff like this – don’t take it as an actual endorsement by the student population of Carlton. The Pro-Life organization certainly has a case to complain to the Canadian Human Rights Commission, and I would support them in that complaint 100%.

    As strongly pro-choice as I am, I believe without free speech we no longer have a free society.

    I guess that means, the enemy of my enemy is my friend?:)

     
  • At Fri Dec 01, 09:37:00 a.m. EST, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    I was thinking more on the lines of "Common ground can be found between us" but "the enemy of my enemy" works too. ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home