Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Local Racist Moron

Some idiot who lives around here thought he was being clever when he made what was percieved to be a racial slur towards a good friend of mine the other day. She has, shall we say, a slightly darker complexion than I do, so it's often assumed by many people that she's from somewhere in the Middle-East. In reality, she's half Mennonite, and half Latin American, but she does indeed look Middle-Eastern... which is hilarious, because she gets hit on by older Indian and Pakistani men all the time.

As this guy was walking out of the place where she works, he passes her and quietly says, "Thank you, come again", in a stereotypical Simpsons' Pakistani shopkeeper style. Which took her completely by surprise, so much so that she just stood there with her mouth open for a minute, in total disbelief of what she had just heard. (I'm of course assuming that it was an attempt at a racial slur, as there is some tension locally with some "whites" not liking how the "ethnics" are moving out here from the GTA)

So, if it was indeed a racist remark, then in the process of uttering his oh so clever little slur, he made himself not only look like a scum sucking bigoted racist, but an idiotic bigoted scum sucking racist... because moron, 1) not everyone with darker skin that you is from the Middle-East, and 2) in all likelihood, her Mennonite ancestors where here long before your European ancestors were.

So, if any of you know of any bigoted younger men in South Western Ontario, give 'em what for on my friend's any my behalf... and tell them to go and get on a boat and go back to where their ancestors came from, because we don't want them here in Canada.

(and I say all these things being a first generation immigrant myself)


NOTE: To head off any commenters who think that my comments here are "un-Christian", I would like to ask you, do you defend his actions? Christ called evildoers out on the carpet when He saw them, and this is no different. If this guy is a racist, then such deeds need to be called out and corrected... there is no place for racism in our society. Of course, forgiveness is available to the racist in question, but he has to repent in order to receive it.


UPDATE: After reading this post, the subject of the "perceived" slur asked that a couple of details be clairified, and asked that it be emphasized that she's not 100% sure it was intended to be a slur, but certainly seemed that way. So the post has been updated from the original to reflect that.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At Sat Apr 14, 08:29:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have a similar problem, my Dad is N.A. Indian with black hair and dark skin but I ended up with my Mothers skin colour and she's the basic white person blamed for all the Social ills in canada .
    Because I appear European I have heard some of the most funny - but rude- jokes about natives and insults to white Americans over slavery since I'm perceived as a New-comer in canada , but the really annoying part is living in Toronto and having visible minorities and tourists assuming I can give them directions since I'm white...therefore I know every street in Toronto.

    Nobody yet has every come to me and spoke in a Foreign language to assume I'm an immigrant, they always stereotype me as Mr.Answer man and I must be able to speak english as a bigot racist that carries the burden of Slavery , 2 world wars, the Head-tax , homophobia,islamophobia, immigrant unemployment rates , banned abortions , debtors prisons and on and on.

    Just once I'd like to be insulted like the other immigrant
    that need ESL classes and look like a foreigner.
    Sure I attended a mainly white school in Toronto years back , but everyone had a nickname to be teased and you felt included in the unfair treatment merely by dress or appearence, Race had nothing to do with it.

     
  • At Sat Apr 14, 09:23:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger John said…

    Anon,

    Please provide a list of racial slurs you would like to be called and I will be happy to oblige.

    CC,

    Obviously I wasn't there so I may be wrong but I suspect that your friend was less a victim of racism and more a victim of juvenile behavior. I think the remark is more along the lines of calling someone "fatty" or "four-eyes".

    Funny that swearing at someone or calling them an "ugly putrid cow" is somehow less offensive than calling someone a "packie." I really don't understand as both are equal in my mind...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home