Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"Historic" says Phil Fontaine

This announcement is important enough for me to break my blogging hiatus... "Harper promises bill to 'revolutionize' land claims process".

I like how CBC emphasises this point, showing how even they recognize the importance of this announcement...
"He [Stephen Harper] was joined by Indian Affairs Minister Jim Prentice and Assembly of First Nations National Chief Phil Fontaine, who shook Harper's hand after the announcement was made.
(it's always been assumed that Mr. Harper and Mr. Fontaine don't see eye to eye... I don't think Phil would have so openly shown his support if he didn't truly believe in this plan)

I've been looking forward for several months now to see this announcement, ever since I heard that something big was in the works.

It's about time. I'm glad to see this major first step that has been taken. Many more will be required, to be sure, but every journey needs a first step. It's time that we Canadians finally deal with some of these long-standing issues. No more sweeping things under the rug... let's see some real action.

There will be pain involved, to be sure. Canadians will have to accept some cost in this. There will likely be some fair sized chunks of land involved, but here's hoping that some realistic agreement on their use can be found... not just a partitioning of nation such that we have a post-war Berlin like situation.

Here's to moving forward... finally. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this summer's discussions.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At Tue Jun 12, 08:33:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like this. I have said that step one should be to settle all the outstanding land claims. Step two should be to get all the natives off welfare and independant so they can be truly equal to the rest of us (Yah I know when pigs fly).

     
  • At Wed Jun 13, 01:22:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger zolton said…

    Buddy read about how Canada screwed first nations throughout our history!
    Understand what the frick is going on before you spout off rhetoric that is close to bigotry.

    Your comment (yah I know when pigs fly) is disgusting!
    You talk about equality yet you spout off rhetoric that progresses inequality.
    Hypocrisy and conservatism nooo can't be!
    Understand the terms ,definitions and the understanding that comes along with those words.
    IT might take another 200 years or so of evolution but Ill make sure my kids teach your kids.

    Like honestly you know nothing of the native issue's I can tell, except your stigmatic paternal fascistic programing dictated to you by something non applicable.
    Joke of life you be!

    Not to forget to mention that Phil Fontaine is friends with the PPP political party leader, you might get a clue if you research that as well.

     
  • At Wed Jun 13, 06:33:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was just baiting tolerant leftists. I knew I would catch one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home