Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Pot Posession Laws Unconstitutional

It was only a matter of time... Judge rules Canada's pot possession laws unconstitutional.

Of course, leave it up to a liberal Toronto judge to pull an idiotic stunt like this. Interestingly enough, Toronto Judge Howard Borenstein was just named to the bench in August of last year... perhaps this is a case of a rookie judge trying to make a name for himself?
SIDEBAR: Now, for those who take issue with my calling him a "liberal" judge, I'd like to point out the Ontario Liberal Party's financial return submitted to Elections Ontario in 2006...

Name - Borenstein Howard
Deposit Date - 08/01/2006
Amount - $460.00

August, 2006? Wasn't that the same month he took his seat on the bench? Not a big donation, mind you... perhaps more like a "thank you"... then again, most people just write a note, or send a gift... but hey, whatever. (and for the record, this is his one and only political donation, to all parties, Provincial or Federal, from 2004-2007) Anyway, back to the main issue at hand...
My guess, my hope, is that Mr. Harper appeals this ruling. Now, here's my analysis of what's going to happen with this case, due to the current political climate in Ottawa...

I think the Liberal Party is going to turn this into a way to score some political points, instead of taking a principaled stand and supporting the government's appeal. They're going to try and spin this in such a way so as to make the Conservatives, once again, appear to be a regressive party, and that, of course, the Liberal Party is the cool party, where pot is just fine and dandy... trying to once again pander to the young voters under 30.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong... but I don't think I going to be.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At Sat Jul 14, 05:12:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Drew Costen said…

    Good for him.

    I have never even had a puff of a cigarette, much less weed, in my entire life. That said, the sooner that we completely legalize marijuana the better. There is absolutely no reason for it to be illegal, at least not as long as cigarettes and alcohol remain legal.

    This is another reason I could never vote for the Conservative party, because of their position on prohibition of drugs, particularly pot (even though I have no intention of ever taking any of them myself I still believe people should have the right to poison themselves if they so desire).

    A good Canadian blog that discusses this very issue can be found at http://420-now.blogspot.com/, highly recommended.

     
  • At Sat Jul 14, 07:26:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't be such a prude. Marijuana should be decriminalized and if Harper appeals this he'll be behind the times, much like you.

    It will be decriminalized eventually. You can't keep up your little "morality police" act for long.

     
  • At Sat Jul 14, 07:27:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Its a conservative position to take - get out of my life and let me do what I want if Im not hurting anyone.

     
  • At Sat Jul 14, 10:02:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get over yourself and stop forcing your morality on the rest of us.

     
  • At Sun Jul 15, 09:29:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The war against drugs has long been lost. Legalize drugs across the board and treat drug addiction as the medical problem that it is. Then start reacting to marijuana as the harmless weed that it is.
    What a gawd-awful waste of money and resources in fighting this lost cause.

     
  • At Sun Jul 15, 05:51:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Brian VandenBerg said…

    Anonymous...you must be on weed (or crack) right now to write such a idiotic entry. Please don’t shove your one sided and obviously uninformed view down my throat because I’m choking.

     
  • At Sun Jul 15, 11:48:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know about legalizing all drugs, but marijuana should be decriminalized.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home