Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Wireless Security

Some of my readers will know that one thing that really bugs me is how many people have no clue when it comes to wireless security for their home internet connections. Here's a Forbes report saying exactly that... "One In Four WLANs Unsecured".

Was helping my friend set up a wireless router the other day... and the stats in the article were reversed! ONLY ONE IN FOUR WAS SECURE! I picked up another three routers within range, all of them unsecure, and was able to log into the administrative console of one of them in less than 10 seconds!

It's a problem that shouldn't exist, since all the router manufacturers need to do is re-write their setup routines so that the router is secured right out of the box. (maybe this is a policy proposal for new legislation I'll put forward during the next CPC policy round)

In the meantime, I'm finally getting around to registering my business... and then reselling my services to secure some of these routers!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At Tue Jul 17, 01:30:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Spitfire said…

    I consider myself to be fairy technically competent, but even I couldn't figure out how to make my brother in law's wireless internet secure. And of course your ISP won't help you and then the router people will punt you to your ISP (having worked at a call centre for HP for a summer, I saw this all the time!)

     
  • At Tue Jul 17, 02:33:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Basically, $40 is my going rate... a $20 security check, and if you fail (which most people will, which is why they're calling me), $20 to secure it, to a max. of 1 hour.

    $20 per half hour thereafter. (to help keep me from getting bombarded with other unrelated computer questions)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home