Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

New PC vs. Mac Ads

Wow... just saw a devastating new PC vs. Mac commercial on TV... check out the one called "Podium" on the Apple website. It's talking about how many new Vista users are so upset with Vista, that they're "downgrading" back to Windows XP.

Now, for the record, I'm a PC fan... I personally think it's a more robust and flexible platform. BUT, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to fess up... I DIDN'T buy a great new laptop that was on sale at Future Shop a few weeks ago because it was only available with Vista.

Bottom line, and I hope the folks at Microsoft are listening... I'M NOT GOING TO BUY VISTA FOR AS LONG AS I CAN POSSIBLY AVOID IT. It's a horrible OS, and it's likely the biggest mistake that Microsoft has ever made. Windows XP was by far their best desktop OS ever, and then they went ahead and replaced it with the bloatware they tried to pass off as the "latest and greatest OS". Bad move, and I think it's going to hurt them in the long run... big time. Because Vista is so bad, people buying computers are seriously looking at Macs, or free operating systems like Linux... I'm getting loads of questions all the time, questions I wasn't getting before Vista was released.

Are you on of the many who want a new laptop or PC without Vista? Check out Dell's "Vostro" line... they're still available with XP! (Dell had to bring an XP option back pronto after an outcry from business buyers...)

The Apple website has loads more online, take a peek here. The one called "PR Lady" has a pretty funny line at the end.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At Tue Nov 20, 07:15:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    even worse than vista is Office 2007.

    Our office upgraded from Office 22003 and all we got was grief, crashes and downtime.

    I have switched back

     
  • At Tue Nov 20, 07:20:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm happily chugging along using Suse Linux 10.3 - no viruses,crashes, performance problems or secret transmissions to Mother Microsoft.

     
  • At Tue Nov 20, 09:20:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey kpk, I also just upgraded from Suse 10.2 to 10.3 last week, been running Suse Linux for the past 2 years, no problems. Best of all, I can read my email and follow all my blogs through one program, with never a problem. (ok, Kontact won't open a new window to post this comment, but Firefox works wonders)

    I have XP as an alternate boot, but only use it when need a specific program or to help troubleshoot a friend's system. When such an excellent OS is available for free, why spend money for things I don't need.

    (as a side note, if I were to ever buy a Mac, the first thing I would do is wipe it clean and install Suse Linux on it)

     
  • At Tue Nov 20, 10:03:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Well said eldon... it's like the old line I heard...

    "What's the best thing you can do with a Mac? Replace it with a PC."

     
  • At Tue Nov 20, 10:12:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am trying to be a Linux/Open Source user. I have been trying to use Ubuntu 7.1 on my laptop and have a couple of nagging problems; Ubuntu suspend or hibernate properly and no Open Source email package works with my blackberry.

    While these might seem like trivial problems they are a real pain for me. That said I like the performance boost I got switching to Linux and I really like not having to worry about 99.999% of the viruses out there.

    As an end note I have Ubuntu installed on my older desktop and it works like a charm. I can even access Windows boxes via an Open Source Windows terminal services so
    I can always use a Windows box if I need one.

     
  • At Tue Nov 20, 10:13:00 p.m. EST, Blogger Drew Costen said…

    After many years of hating Macs I finally bought one (a MacBook Pro) last year after they switched to the Intel processors. A few weeks ago when my Windows 2000 box (Microsoft's best OS in my opinion, btw) finally started having serious trouble I realized I had no interest in trying to get it working properly again, nor did I seem to have any interest in replacing it with another Windows machine (even one with XP), and instead bought a MacBook. We are now officially a Mac household and I can't imagine ever going back to Windows again (although if I ever absolutely need Windows I can boot into it on one of my Macs or run it as a VM with Parallels). I'm loving Leopard, by far my favorite personal computer OS yet (and I've probably used almost all of them), and though Linux has its place as well I couldn't imagine replacing Mac OS X 10.5 with anything right now.

     
  • At Tue Nov 20, 10:53:00 p.m. EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Windows XP was by far their best desktop OS ever"

    After SP1 was released, possibly... after SP2 was released, probably, but when XP first came out it was a steaming pile of dung. I administered several labs of fresh XP boxes at the time and they would frequently begin blue-screening and rebooting continuously, requiring a re-install. I figured I must be doing something wrong until I talked to a student at the local university who confirmed that 30% of their XP lab was usually doing that. The problem was never acknowledged, as far as I know, by MS, but was silently fixed in SP1. If you don't need the new features in XP, Windows 2000 is still far snappier and more stable than XP. (I worked on one today.) I'm no fan of MS, but I'd put money on my prediction that a year from now Vista will be fairly stable.

    FWIW, I use Ubuntu on my laptop and Debian on my desktop and servers and run XP in a VMWare instance for my accounting software.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home