Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Friday, June 12, 2009

The things you find when moving... Iggy's GQ article

A former co-worker of mine is moving, and came across this the other day... it's the 1990 British GQ article entitled "Why is this man smiling?" about Michael Ignatieff. Interesting stuff... seems that his ivory tower aloofness and arrogance is just who he is.







UPDATE: Well, seeing that Macleans.ca has picked up on this post, I'd like to welcome all the visitors coming over from there. I'll post my response to Mr. Wherry's somewhat personal attack in his post...
Mr. Wherry, while I appreciate the increased traffic sent to my post, I do think your comments are somewhat unfair... I posted the article in the context of "well isn't that an interesting coincidence" because my co-worker, in all honesty, just happened to come across a copy of the article in question that he's had filed away for years as he's packing up to sell his house. For the record, he's not a political animal of any sort, but he thought I'd find it of interest. In the present context of Ignatieff's installation as Liberal leader, of course it's of interest!

In reading the article, the one thing that struck me was the first page, specifically the parts about his being aloof and a somewhat "snobby" intellectual. I think it's highly relevant, as Canadians are in the process of "getting to know" Michael Ignatieff, to point out that some of the things people have been saying about him are no different than things that people who've known him have been saying about him for years, and years, and years... that he's aloof, and not a very personable fellow.

Of course, I did also read with interest his recounting of helping out that elderly gentleman with his groceries... and good for him for doing that. Instead of simply relying on the Government to take care of the less fortunate, he got his hands dirty and chipped in himself. That's great, but having done that sort of thing myself for years, it didn't jump out at me as something extra-ordinary to comment on... aren't we, or at least shouldn't we be, all doing this sort of thing regularly anyway? Are you telling me that this is somehow unusual for people to do? It's certainly not amongst the Christian and conservative circles I hang amongst.

As for being aloof and cerebral, if memory serves, is the same thing that the Liberals have been commenting on negatively about Mr. Harper for years. Of course, it's a point I disagree with, as seen at the Q&A session the PM had in Cambridge, which few in the media covered. The PM was quite personable, and having met him a few times myself, he's not the cold fish that you folks in the media make him out to be.

Even though you brought attention to the article by attacking me personally, I suppose I should at least be grateful for the fact that at least you're bringing further attention to the unknown person of Michael Ignatieff, rather than sticking with the sickening media love-in we've been seeing for weeks since his installation as leader.
UPDATE II: Guess I should have posted this the other day, totally forgot... Aaron and I cleared it all up via e-mail, and I'm happy to say that it turns out I was just a little over sensitive about the whole thing.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • At Fri Jun 12, 04:22:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Ted Betts said…

    "Bionic Liberal".

    I like that.

     
  • At Fri Jun 12, 07:45:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous ace said…

    You're a small, small person--no wonder you like Stephen Harper.

     
  • At Fri Jun 12, 08:02:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    Maybe we can call him The Six Million Dollar Man... "The Liberals, we can rebuild them... we have the technology"

    ace... amm, thanks for your most insightful comment, I guess, in a round about kinda way...

    So, let me get this straight... my former co-worker finds something interesting and relevant to current events while cleaning out his house, I post it and add some commentary, and I'm a "small, small person" for that?

    Sniff... I'm hurt by your comment... in a small, small way, perhaps... just maybe. Or not.

    Here's another one for you then... someone I know gets invited to an small and intimate dinner with Michael and just a couple other people. The feedback from this Liberal-leaning person? They really WANT to like Michael Ignatieff, but they just can't bring themselves to like him. Why? Apparently, even in a small group, he's still "an arrogant jerk"... those aren't the words of Yours "small, small person" Truly, that's a direct quote from someone close to the Liberal leader.

    So go and try that one on for size, ace... I wasn't planning on recounting that little anecdote, but since you were so eager to offer up that drivil, I figured I'd point out that it's not just folks like me that are rubbed the wrong way by the The Arrogant Minded Professor... you Liberals got issues with your new leader, and are simply sticking your collective heads in the sand.

    Honeymoon's almost over dude, if what I'm reading from the likes of Paul Wells and others in the media are any indication... enjoy it while it lasts.

     
  • At Sat Jun 13, 01:15:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry, uh, but where does it say on the first page that he's a "snobby" intellectual. I see people describing him as "Just very good," "A very, very clever guy" who's "not easy to get close to," and "Incredibly well-prepared, the kind of guy who has always done his homework."

     
  • At Sat Jun 13, 02:04:00 p.m. EDT, Blogger Kris said…

    Where/what is Wherry's attack on you? I can't find it. Was something removed from his post?

     
  • At Sun Jun 14, 04:56:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous troy said…

    I dont have time right now to read the whole article in depth, but i will do so later...

    even in 1990, the arrogance of this man shines through in everything he speaks and writes..He seems to put himself on a higher plane than the rest of society

    Ignatieff looking at poor people outside his ivory tower of academia,the statement sounding like a spoiled princess looking down from the castle at the peasents...

    "Their old bodies must be thin and white beneath their clothes."

    The story about the old man shopping in the supermarket shows thaqt he is out of touch with ordinary life. Who has not seen an older person shopping and helped them carry groceries or held the door for them? Does doing this deserve credit or even mention?

    Does one automatically assume that this person is unhappy or unfulfilled? How can one assume that this person is "nearly fainting from tiredness"...
    Is Miceal Ignatieff's life so important that others lives are reduced to banality in comparision?

    I seriously hope this man never becomes PM.

     
  • At Sun Jun 14, 09:19:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger Christian Conservative said…

    It's his snarky little opening... "A christian conservative—his words", perhaps implying that by posting it, I'm not very "Christian". I take offense to that, especially since my post wasn't out of spite for Ignatieff, it was of the "hey, lookie what I found" sort.

     
  • At Sun Jun 14, 02:12:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm getting a little sick of this Academia Ivory Tower business.

    A good plumber makes the same kind of money as a university prof in Canada.

    I have not met anyone who is in academia for monetary reasons.
    H.

     
  • At Tue Jun 16, 07:27:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    His introduction doesn't in the least sound like a personal attack, rather it is what you proclaim yourself as being. Sure, in introducing you as the poster of this article to his Macleans readers he could have used the term "blogger", but that's so generic and wouldn't provide context as to who the poster of this material was.

    Rob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home