Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Light blogging and $3500 for my '97 VW

Some have noticed that I haven't been posting much lately. Been busy at work, (for which I'm very greatful right now with the economy they way it is), and to be honest, I haven't been very politically motivated right now.

Nothing's really gotten me going lately, I'm pretty happy with the status quo. The economy is rough, but things seem to be leveling off, and the right folks are in charge to help with the recovery.

One thing I will comment on is the possibility of the Federal government offering up $3500 for old clunkers to encourage people to buy new cars. Now many of my ultra-conservative brethren (and sistren, I suppose) will probably be writhing around in agony over the prospect of "yet another Government program", but this is actually a program that I support. In the interest of full disclosure, I would likely benefit from this program, as my 1997 VW Golf would finally get scrapped, and it's almost time to replace her, with 323,000kms on the odometer. (and the fact that the tranny's starting to go) But a program like this, where there's a direct benefit to many of the taxpayers footing the bill, rather than the Government throwing billions at the union-bloated automakers, just makes sense to me. It's the kind of program directed at and benefiting the taxpayer who's helping to foot the bill, rather than directly funding the union slobs who got us into this economic boat in the first place. (with all their overpaid union jobs, along with their insanely bloated and company crippling pensions) Of course, they get the trickle down benefit, but I prefer the "Taxpayer First, Automakers & Unions Second" sort of approach to economic recovery. Put it this way... since I heard about the possiblity of this program, and I went out car hunting the other evening. No way will I buy without a program like this though... it's just enough to push me into the market. That's right, I said "The Market"... which is what will ultimately help us out of this mess, not big-spending "stimulus" programs.

Was thinking a bit more about this the other day I saw one of those "Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign!" bumper stickers. They really tick me off. So I want to get one custom made, maybe even sell a few...

"Car break down yet? Keep buying overpriced CAW-built junk!"
or
"Car break down lately? THAT's why I buy foreign!"
or
"Economy broken yet? Keep supporting overpaid unions!"

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home