Christian Conservative Christian "Independent"

I'm an evangelical Christian, member of the CPC, but presently & unjustly exiled to wander the political wilderness.
All opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Liberal MP Frank Valeriote councils Commissioner to break the law?

Another partisan Liberal attack goes horribly wrong. This is not a good move by Valeriote, considering he's supposed to be a lawyer...
Dear Mr. Valeriote,

Your open letter to the Commissioner of Lobbying is most improper. Essentially, you are telling the Commissioner to break the law.

First, I remind you that the Commissioner is an independent Officer of Parliament. She is accountable to all of Parliament and is supposed to discharge her duties independently and without interference. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the Liberal Party or any individual MP can tell her what to do. You are wrong. The Commissioner’s independence must be respected.

Second, you demand that the Commissioner report to you and the Liberal Party on a potential ongoing investigation. Not only is that an outrageous interference with the Commissioner’s independence, it amounts to counselling the Commissioner to break the law. I urge you to read section 10.4 of the Lobbying Act, which requires the Commissioner to conduct any investigations in private and not to disclose information that comes to her knowledge during the course of performing her duties.

By writing an open letter, counselling the Commissioner to break the law, you are showing contempt for the Commissioner of Lobbying and placing her in an impossibly compromising position. How do you justify such conduct?

Kelly Block, MP
Saskatoon-Rosetown-Biggar
Member, Standing Committee on Access to Information, Privacy and Ethics

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At Wed Apr 28, 01:35:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not to be mean or anything, but who is Kelly Block and what background if any does she have in our judicial process?

     
  • At Wed Apr 28, 02:58:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kelly Block is a Christian based Member of Parliament from Saskatoon. She got elected in 2008 i think with a small majority. I think she's write to tell Frank off...he shouldnt be trying to take advantage of an already bad situation - its just political opportunism. Canada is above that kind of behaviour. Blessings to all.

     
  • At Wed Apr 28, 04:10:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Kelly Block is a Christian based Member of Parliament..."

    I'm all for having more Christians in politics, but I'm concerned that you're trying to identify her solely because of her Christian background. And oh yeah, I think you meant to say "right" instead of "write".

     
  • At Thu Apr 29, 09:06:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, by all means, let's keep political opportunism out of politics. I expect this blog to close shortly.

     
  • At Thu Apr 29, 09:59:00 a.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MP Kelly Block is a member of the Standing Committee on Access to Information, Privacy and Ethics (ETHI) and Finance committees and has some understanding of the role of the Ethics Commissioner. That she is a Christian is hardly relevant in this matter.

     
  • At Thu Apr 29, 11:55:00 a.m. EDT, Blogger West Coast Teddi said…

    About Kelly (from her web site)

    It has been a privilege and honour to represent the constituents of Saskatoon Rosetown Biggar in the House of Commons since October 2008. As your voice in Ottawa I am committed to making sure that your concerns are heard and the issues we face addresses.

    I was born in St. Paul’s Hospital and have lived most of my life in the Riding of Saskatoon Rosetown Biggar. My father is a mechanic and my mother was a stay at home mom. We lived on a single income, in many of the communities I represent, until my parents were able to purchase a home in the community of Massey Place.

    When I married my husband Milton, we decided that I would stay at home with our children so I definitely appreciate how hard it can be for families to make ends meet.

    I’ve always believed in playing an active role in the community. Whether serving on local community committees or chairing a health District Board I’ve worked to get things done for Saskatchewan residents. I’m particularly proud of my tenure as a Councilor and Mayor of Waldheim.

    After living in rural Saskatchewan for 19 years, we moved back to Saskatoon. My experiences have taught me how interdependent rural and urban Saskatchewan is.

    Since the global economic recession began last fall our country has faced many challenges. Canada has weathered this recession relatively well. I believe this is a direct result of our Conservative Government strong leadership.
    On the Govt of Canada web site she is listed as a member of a number of different committees

     
  • At Thu Apr 29, 02:14:00 p.m. EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since when does the Conservative party respect independent commissioners or agencies? Please don't be a hypocrite.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home